Interested in rental properties around UWO? Most of our tenants are students at the University of Western Ontario. We are a private company and not affiliated with UWO campus housing. We offer safe, reasonably priced housing for those looking for student housing in London, Ontario. So, if you are lookng for off-campus or near-campus rentals in London, Ontario look no further than housinguwo.com.
Here is a copy of our rules, they are a part of the lease for all properties:
Place initials next to each numbered line indicating you have read and understand each item as part of the lease.
1. Shovel your sidewalk: Tenants are responsible for all snow/ice removal as needed. This must be done within 24 hours after each snowfall. If you do not shovel the sidewalks, the City will do so and send the landlord a bill. Tenants are responsible for payment of this bill and an additional $15.00 charge from landlord. Total will be due to landlord within 7 days of mailing to tenants. If property is a duplex and the lower unit is occupied, the lower unit is responsible for the main walks and service walk. The upper unit is responsible for its service walk. The driveway must be shoveled by tenants using the driveway. This includes those times when tenants may not be occupying the residence (holidays and spring break). Remember not to turn off furnace while you are away as pipes will break if they freeze and this will be your expense to repair
2. Late rent will be subject to a $25.00 late fee plus $5.00 per day for each additional day that rent is late. Rent can be paid by check or money order.
3. If a check is returned NSF, a fee of $50.00 will be added to the amount due (in addition to a late fee if applicable), and personal checks will no longer be accepted for rent. (all future payments must then be made with cash, cashier’s check or money order)
4. Checking in: Check-in will be no earlier than 3P.M. on the first day on the lease at which time the tenants will have made the first rent payment, made utility arrangements and be provided with apt. keys, new smoke detector batteries and a condition report (check in sheet).
5. Checking out: tenants will check-out no later than noon on last day of lease term. After tenant has vacated, landlord will inspect unit for cleanliness and obvious damage though all parties realize other damage may be revealed later. Tenant shall leave property in a VERY CLEAN condition. This includes appliances and common areas. Tenants will leave all keys properly labeled.
6. Parking is for tenants’ personal auto only. Parking in any area other than that designated by landlord will result in a parking citation issued by police and/or the vehicle being towed at the owners’ expense. No boats, campers, trailers or other items are allowed. Parking is limited to area designated by landlord. Parking permits are required. All vehicles without permits may be ticketed and towed at vehicle owners’ expense. Driving or parking on the lawn is strictly prohibited.
7. Replace your light bulbs; Landlord does not supply window shades, curtains, drapes, curtain rods, shower curtains, light bulbs.
8. You are a grown-up. Tenants who sign this lease are adults and will be treated like adults. We promise to treat tenants with respect and expect the same in return. We are registed and interact with credit bureau companies and will not hesitate to put inform them of any monies owing and any judgements that may come up through Landlord Tenact tribunals.
9. What you see is what you get: Tenants are accepting the unit as it appears on the date of execution of the lease (minus all tenants’ and landlords’ personal property). The landlord is not required to make any alterations or changes to the property, other than cleaning, unless outlined on the lease. Tenant condition report MUST be mailed to landlord within 7 days after moving in. After 7 days all minor repairs such as broken windows, holes in the walls or ceilings, loose items, plugged drains, minor plumbing leaks and other minor repairs are the responsibility of the tenant.
10. Early check in: Tenants cannot move in prior to the date outlined on the lease.
11. This is not “Trading Spaces” Tenants are NOT ALLOWED TO PAINT the dwelling. NO EXCEPTIONS! (so, don’t ask) A repainting fee of $200.00 per room will be assessed to any room painted (even partially) by a tenant.
12. NO PETS ALLOWED AT ANY TIME (not even a “visit” or “pet-sitting” situation) A $100.00 assessment will be levied for any occasion a pet is found on the premise.
13. Keys: All keys must be turned in at the time of check-out. If any key is missing a $50.00 assessment for lock changes will be charged.
14. Garbage and recyclables will be stored outside and behind residence until 5pm of the day prior to garbage pick up. Garbage cans and anything not picked up (for example: paper if it were an aluminum pick up week) shall be returned to the area behind the house on that day. Anything left overnight will be subject to a removal fee of $25.00 to move it behind the house and additional charges if must be taken directly to the dump. Garbage will not be left on premise when you move out or disposal fees will be charged.
15. Use: This property is intended for tenants to use as a primary residence. Extended or repeated stay guests are not allowed (boyfriends or girlfriends who may or may not have a different residence but who habitually stay here). This residence will not be used as a place to “flop” or a “crash” pad.
16. NO ½ barrels or similar alcohol vending device allowed at any time. This house will not be used as a “party house”. Any evidence or report of a “house party” or such vending device on the premise will result in an immediate assessment of $150.00 and possibly eviction.
17. GROSS! (Clogged drains Check all your drains when you move in. One week after check-in, all clogged drains are the responsibility of the tenants no matter how they occur. Condoms and feminine products including tampons are not to be flushed as they are the most frequent cause plugged sewer lines (Hair and food are second and third place…fun stuff huh?). The cost of clearing such clogs is the responsibility of the tenant.
18. Showings: Showings for the following lease term may begin soon after tenant takes occupancy. Typically showings will begin in December and be more frequent in January.
19. Tenants agree to allow showings within 24 hrs of notice and at reasonable times. Notice may be (but not restricted to) one of the following: text messages, e-mail, note posted on door, phone message, personal contact, other.
All rooms must be accessible for showings. Tenant will have dwelling in clean and presentable condition.
20. Emergencies: Tenants will not call landlord between 10:00 pm and 8:00 am unless an emergency exists (something that poses a threat to persons or property). Violations will incur a $25.00 fine. This is just common courtesy.
21. No signage of any sort is allowed to be viewed from the street whether it is inside or outside the residence including but not restricted to: Political, alcohol, business of any sort, artwork of any kind, other. This does not restrict the landlord from placing signs on the property (example: “for rent”).
22. Common area cleaning: Tenants are equally responsible to keep all common areas of the property clean. Damage and required cleaning will be billed equally to all tenants of the unit unless responsibility can be assigned to the responsible party. This includes removal of property left after lease ends.
23. The law: The landlords cooperate fully with the City of London Housing and Building Inspector’s Office and London Police. No violations of laws will be tolerated.
24. No candles or open flames are allowed in the residence as they are a fire hazard and cause stains on the walls requiring several coats of paint to cover. No smoking in the residence is allowed. A room re-paint fee will be charged for each room where such damage is found.
25. Yard clean-up (garbage removal) is the responsibility of tenants.
26. No disturbing noise. NO PARTIES: Social and friendly gatherings of several people are fine provided such gatherings do not become boisterous, obscene or objectionable to other residents. No tap beer on premise.
27. Porches and balconies should not detract from the appearance of the building. The premise shall in no way be defaced with signs, advertisements, antennas, etc. No furniture not designed for exterior use shall be permitted on any porch. The cost of removal of such will be incurred by the tenant. Porches and balconies will not be used for hanging laundry. Front yard areas shall be kept clear of trash cans, grills and clutter. For the safety of all residents, all cooking grills shall be maintained at a safe distance from the property and all tenants should note the locations of alarms and building exits.
28. LEASE CHANGES COST MONEY!! Any lease changes requested by tenant will be made at the discretion of the landlord and will be charged $50.00 and payable at the time the change is made. (for example: replacing one tenant name with another or removing a name). Additional tenant’s names may be added on one occasion only for no charge. This does not allow tenants to void or break lease. . If your life situation changes, it is up to YOU to find a replacement person for your lease. All roommates within that apartment must agree to the change, change fee applies, replacement must fill out application and be approved by landlord.
29. Don’t break stuff: Tenants are responsible for the cost for repair or replacement of the following no matter how such damage occurs, items will be repaired to original condition or replaced:
30. Plugged drains, broken, dented, scratched, ripped, missing, damaged storms, screen and windowsbroken, cracked, damaged, doors, door jams, door locks or any damage dealing with doors (by the way, it is cheaper to replace a door knob than to fix a door). Typical door replacement $300-$400.
31. Got Gas? There will be a $25.00 service charge if you are responsible for the utilities and you do not have them put into your name on the day you check in.
32. Protect your stuff: Tenants are encouraged to carry their own content’s or renter’s insurance. Landlord shall not be responsible for any loss or damage to personal property kept within the premise.
34. DUH!: No sunbathing on roofs. Tenant may not be on the roof or fire escapes of the property except for emergency.
35. If it’s broken, tell us: Tenants are obligated to notify landlord in writing if problems exist that may cause waste or damage to property (missing or broken basement windows may cause pipes to freeze for example). Should landlord discover a situation existed which jeopardized the condition of the building that the tenant did not notify the landlord of Landlord will hold the tenant responsible for any damage that resulted from the tenant’s negligence.
36. Time is money: All work performed on behalf of landlord due to tenant waste or neglect will be billed as follows: Electrician (market rate), Plumber (market rate) all others $45.00 per hour.
These are conditions of tenancy and are non-negotiable. It is our sincere desire to provide safe, reasonably priced housing. If there is a problem with the property please call so we can remedy the situation. We would rather fix a small problem than not know about it until it becomes a large problem.
Robert Seiler 519-777-8946
I HAVE READ THE RULES AND REGULATIONS AND I AM IN FULL UNDERSTANDING AND AGREEMENT.